soil/soul

soil |soil|
-
ORIGIN late Middle English : from Anglo-Norman French, perhaps representing Latin solium ‘seat’ by association with solum ‘ground’

soul - |sōl|
-
ORIGIN Old English sāwol, sāw(e)l, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch ziel and German Seele.


England (Isle of Wight) - May 2008

















I did not go to the beach to collect the soil. I went there to have dinner, and collected soil before I returned home. I had with me only empty Tesco plastic bag. English soil fits well into this wrapping.
This is my favourite beach on the island. It is quite empty and wild and only ships queuing to get to the harbour spoil the horizon. Tesco bag and the queue - reminders that I am still in England.

















Hanadi said: you collected sand not soil! Technically true. But more I think about the project and soil collection more I feel I come from sand not soil. Sand is more like me. Being relocated with every tide. Never actually sure where its coming from and where it is going next. I like this uncertainty. I envy sand never simply just lying down. Constant sailing and movement rather than hoping to settle down.

Have I mentioned that I suffer from seasickness? I even feel sick while driving a car! Crossing the Solent can be quite painful and i cross it a lot. With all my will and eagerness to relocate and be on a move this condition does not help. Silly body that does not want to adjust to the willingness of soul?

No comments: