soil/soul

soil |soil|
-
ORIGIN late Middle English : from Anglo-Norman French, perhaps representing Latin solium ‘seat’ by association with solum ‘ground’

soul - |sōl|
-
ORIGIN Old English sāwol, sāw(e)l, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch ziel and German Seele.


soil-soul, syria-wales. May 2008

It was finally a sunny day when I had a short walk to the local park in the area where I live.
I found myself going directly to a tree and felt as I needed to locate the Syrian soil under that tree. It is maybe because the Syrian soil was taken from under a tree and it should be relocated in a similar place! (this is my own personal feeling). However, the ground was very dry and welsh soil looked very hard. The colour was different as well; it was darker and browner while the Syrian soil tended to be more reddish and not too much solid.

I know that the Syrian soil will get mixed somehow with the welsh soil. It could happen by rain or by pedestrians but by all means it will merge in its new ground, get some solidity and maybe adds redder colour to the place! It is exactly like when people immigrate or live in a new environment. Even if they will be strangers or feel so and even if some of them will try to distant their values from the new society’s but at one stage they will be a part of the new society add to it and get affected by it.

No comments: