soil/soul

soil |soil|
-
ORIGIN late Middle English : from Anglo-Norman French, perhaps representing Latin solium ‘seat’ by association with solum ‘ground’

soul - |sōl|
-
ORIGIN Old English sāwol, sāw(e)l, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch ziel and German Seele.


Soil Letters from Hanadi - July 2008

















Hanadi’s second soil letter arrived. Another envelop full of soil reached one of my temporary locations. I got the letter just after coming back from the Basque Country and on the way to Poland. Opened it to have a look, but decided to keep it in the envelope as Welsh soil looks surprisingly similar to Syrian although I know that Hanadi claims that they are very very different. It started getting tricky not to mix all the collected and received samples.

I am in my hometown for summer, and getting ready to get the samples of the soil by my parents’ home. I keep waiting for the right time. I keep looking for the right spot.

1 comment:

Hanadi Traifeh said...

Well, yes I am surprised now with your new discovery!!

When I touched the Syrian soil for grabbing some, it was hard and somehow thick! And when I placed it on a welsh ground, it looked more reddish and that’s how I saw it different.
When I touched the welsh soil to grab some as well, and as I mentioned before, it looked very hard but once I touched it, it became very smooth.
I haven’t seen or touched Syrian soil for a while now but maybe the climate change has made both look similar! Or maybe they are similar but me consciously knowing that they are different, made me claim so! You see, there is something to do with soul now ;-)

What I always think of is that we are all human beings and we all belong to one land...